What do Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers do?
Landscape or maintain grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Workers typically perform a variety of tasks, which may include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, sprinkler installation, and installation of mortarless segmental concrete masonry wall units.
- Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
- Mow or edge lawns, using power mowers or edgers.
- Shovel snow from walks, driveways, or parking lots and spread salt in those areas.
- Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing thatch, or trimming or edging around flower beds, walks, or walls.
- Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes.
- Prune or trim trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
- Gather and remove litter.
- Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools.
- Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, or other grounds features.
- Water lawns, trees, or plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans.
- Trim or pick flowers and clean flower beds.
- Rake, mulch, and compost leaves.
- Follow planned landscaping designs to determine where to lay sod, sow grass, or plant flowers or foliage.
- Plant seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, ground covers, trees, or shrubs and apply mulch for protection, using gardening tools.
- Decorate gardens with stones or plants.
- Maintain irrigation systems, including winterizing the systems and starting them up in spring.
- Care for natural turf fields, making sure the underlying soil has the required composition to allow proper drainage and to support the grasses used on the fields.
- Use irrigation methods to adjust the amount of water consumption and to prevent waste.
- Haul or spread topsoil or spread straw over seeded soil to hold soil in place.
- Advise customers on plant selection or care.
- Care for artificial turf fields, periodically removing the turf and replacing cushioning pads or vacuuming and disinfecting the turf after use to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Plan or cultivate lawns or gardens.
- Attach wires from planted trees to support stakes.
- Install rock gardens, ponds, decks, drainage systems, irrigation systems, retaining walls, fences, planters, or playground equipment.
- Mark design boundaries and paint natural or artificial turf fields with team logos or names before events.
- Build forms and mix and pour cement to form garden borders.
Related Jobs (Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers)